Some User Experience Maxims
The user experience can only be positive if there are no negative factors ruining it.
Here are some things to consider:
- Don't annoy the user by locking her/him out, instead try to support all popular devices and browsers, and make the site or web-app accessible.
- Don't annoy the user by wasting her/his time, instead make it possible to reach the respective objective fast and ensure high performance.
- Don't annoy the user by leaving her/him confused, instead make everything clear and obvious.
- Don't annoy the user with unreliable code, instead make sure that the web-app is robust.
- Don't annoy the user with animated ads and ads that show what she/he had already looked at, instead ensure that ads aren't distracting or annoying.
- Don't annoy the user with low quality, instead make sure that the web-app yields results of high quality. (For example when you provide public transportation connections make sure they're fast, or if you provide music/image files make sure they're not compressed too much.)
- Don't annoy the user by playing sound without the user's consent.
- Don't annoy the user by suggesting a smartphone app while she/he is on your site and the web-app is a fine option.
- Don't annoy the user with (too many) push notifications.
- Don't annoy the user by lazy-loading eg images eg on scroll-into-view, because that keeps her/him waiting.
- Don't annoy the user by having all the main content (of the whole website or of a long page) positioned on one side, because the twisted posture causes strain. Instead center the main content.
- Make sure that there's nothing else that might annoy the user.
- Users want options, but making choices should be quick and easy.
Quite a list! But don't let it stress you out. Not
every site / web-app must fulfill 100% of every item right away in the
first version. And you might not agree with each item :)
I hope the list is useful as a checklist of things to consider, instead of being seen as a set of rules to be set in stone.
If you enjoyed this post, follow me on Twitter